Thursday, April 2, 2009

Something Wicked this way comes...

For entertainment... we generally follow the same routines in Doha. There's working out, bowling, golf, the desert, drinking, cards, board games, and occasionally movies. And lots of eating out. Something like concerts, plays, or comedy shows are nearly nonexistent. So when something does get up off the ground, the crowds become frenzied, and the seats are standing room only.

Last night... I went to the Qatar Academy's production of the Broadway musical, Wicked. It's the story of the witches from The Wizard of Oz before they meet Dorothy. Let me say... that for what amounts to a high school production... it was fantastic!! The two leads were incredible!. Great singing, with over-the-top acting that you expect from Broadway. The chorus was a little flat sometimes, but had great costumes and energy, and the set was small but done very well. There was even a small orchestra that was tons better than any rinky-dink high school band I ever heard. It was one of the better theater productions I have ever seen! Definitely better than my high school shows... Grease and Blue Suede Shoes... ugh...

Of course, I now can't get the songs out of my head. I feel pretty queer walking around singing "Defying Gravity" under my breath... desperately wanting to bolt out the chorus! I hope the theater finds the balls that I left behind last night...

ben

No comments: