Sunday, October 28, 2007

packing...

After about a week of wondering what was going on with my relocation, I got the news the my boss received my info and that the paperwork is in the system... now the hard stuff begins. Since I've never traveled overseas, much less lived overseas, I am clueless when it comes to the minutiae of immigration. I have a twelve-page packet on how to get my police clearance for Qatar. I'm already got the four sets of fingerprints done, but not quite sure in which order I'm supposed to send them to DPS, TX Secretary of State, US Dept. of State, and the Qatari embassy... all for notarizing.

I was sick for most of last week (sorry dad) and took some time off from work. Thought it would be a good time to get my travel physical and blood work done... and get some extra-strength vitamin C in the process.

Started packing up my stuff today. For some reason, packing always takes me forever. I pack two boxes, need to take a break, pack another, look through another... never getting much done. I was able to pack up three bedroom closets and my office. Problem is that I'm unsure of what to pack and what to set aside. I'm given a 450-pound limit on shipping my stuff to Qatar. I was told not to bring dishes, electronics, and furniture. I was told to bring sports stuff and towels. Well what about everything else?! Should I bring DVDs, music, books... what about my golf clubs, or my bike?? Unfortunately, I don't have any good ideas. I checked out some blogs of ex-pats in Qatar, and they all say completely different things... depending on how much they make and where their housing is located.

Also, all the stuff I plan to bring to Qatar... I can't pack. The shipping company MUST pack all the items. So I have to leave them sitting out in a bedroom... all the while trying to show the house for lease.

So, what do ya bring? It's like the news stories about the California fires... you're told to leave your house immediately... what do you grab? What, in all the stuff that you've collected and kinda brings you joy, do you take with you??

No comments: